[[t]ˈgɒf ər[/t]] also gauffer n.
1) clo an ornamental plaiting used for frills and borders, as on women's caps
2) clo to flute (a frill, ruffle, etc.), as with a heated iron
Etymology: 1700–10; < F gaufre waffle < MD wāfel waffle

From formal English to slang. 2014.

Игры ⚽ Поможем сделать НИР

Look at other dictionaries:

  • goffer — [gäf′ər, gôf′ər] vt. [Fr gaufrer, to crimp < gaufre, waffle < Du wafel, WAFFLE1] to pleat, crimp, or flute (cloth, paper, etc.) n. 1. an iron used to goffer cloth, etc. 2. the act of pleating or fluting; also, a series of pleats, crimps, or …   English World dictionary

  • Goffer — Gof fer, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Goffered}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Goffering}.] [See {Gauffer}.] To plait, flute, or crimp. See {Gauffer}. Clarke. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Goffer — Goffer, s. Taschenratte …   Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon

  • Goffer — Goffer, s. Taschenratten …   Kleines Konversations-Lexikon

  • goffer — or gauffer transitive verb Etymology: French gaufrer, from gaufre honeycomb, waffle, from Old French, of Germanic origin; akin to Middle Dutch wafel waffle Date: 1706 to crimp, plait, or flute (as linen or lace) especially with a heated iron •… …   New Collegiate Dictionary

  • goffer — /gof euhr/, n. 1. an ornamental plaiting used for frills and borders, as on women s caps. v.t. 2. to flute (a frill, ruffle, etc.), as with a heated iron. Also, gauffer. [1700 10; < F gaufre waffle < MD wafel WAFFLE] * * * …   Universalium

  • goffer — verb /ˈɡɒfə/ To make wavy; to crimp. On the back of a chair beside the bed sits perched above the discarded chip hat something apparently precious and taken from the opened bundle on the floor: a flat white cambric hat, its fronts and sides… …   Wiktionary

  • goffer — Synonyms and related words: aqueduct, canal, canalization, canalize, carve, chamfer, channel, chisel, corrugate, crack, crimp, cut, dado, dike, ditch, engrave, entrenchment, flute, fosse, furrow, gash, gouge, groove, gully, gutter, ha ha, incise …   Moby Thesaurus

  • goffer — see WAFER …   The Hutchinson dictionary of word origins

  • goffer — gof·fer || gÉ‘fÉ™(r) / gəʊf n. eagerly energetic person; decorative ruffle made by pressing pleats; iron used for pressing pleats and borders; crimper v. make waves or crimp hair using a heated iron; make pleats in fabric to produce an… …   English contemporary dictionary

  • goffer — [ gɒfə] verb [usu. as adjective goffered] 1》 crimp or flute (a lace edge or frill) with heated irons. 2》 [as adjective goffered] (of the gilt edges of a book) embossed with a repeating design. noun an iron used to crimp or flute lace. Origin C16 …   English new terms dictionary

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”